Thank you Barbara Manson, Stoughton WI for bringing this to our attention!
Attention all Gordon Setter owners – our breed is included among those being recruited for this study. If interested, follow the link below to submit your information online.
Sally Gift, Mesa AZ
VACCINATION AGAINST CANINE CANCER STUDY
UW Veterinary Care’s Oncology Service is recruiting dogs for the Vaccination Against Canine Cancer Study (VACCS trial), the largest clinical trial conducted to date for canine cancer.
The goal of the VACCS trial is to evaluate a new vaccine strategy for the prevention, rather than treatment of dogs with cancer. Healthy dogs of certain breeds, 6 to 10 years old, will be randomized to receive either a series of vaccines similar to other routine vaccines that are given to dogs currently, or placebo vaccines. Dogs will live at home and be checked 2-3 times yearly for 5 years after enrollment. A financial incentive will be offered to defray the cost associated with diagnostics and treatment of any cancers that dogs develop, regardless of whether they are receiving vaccine or placebo.
In addition to potentially providing a new strategy for cancer prevention in dogs, if successful, this study could provide important justification for eventually looking at a similar approach in humans.
TO QUALIFY, DOGS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Owners must live within 150 miles of one of the participating trial sites
- University of Wisconsin–Madison · Madison, Wisconsin
- Colorado State University · Fort Collins, Colorado
- University of California–Davis · Davis, California
- Age: 6 to 10 years old
- Weight: 12 pounds (5 kg) or more
- No history of previous cancer
- No significant other illness that could result in a life span of less than 5 years
- No history of previous autoimmune disease
- No current treatment with oral or injectable immunosuppressive medications such as prednisone, cyclosporine, mycophenolate, or tacrolimus
THIS TRIAL IS NOW BEGINNING THE PATIENT ENROLLMENT PROCESS.
If you believe your pet meets the study criteria and would like to receive more information, please click the button below to enter your contact details and preliminary information about your dog.
A member of the Oncology team will contact you within a week of your entry to collect further information and schedule an appointment.
Questions? To learn more about this study, please email us: email@example.com.
DOGS MUST BE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING BREEDS:
- Mixed Breed
- Afghan Hound
- Airedale Terrier
- Alaskan Malamute
- Basset Hound
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- Boston Terrier
- Cocker Spaniel
- English Setter
- Field Spanie
- Flat-coated Retriever
- French Bulldog
- German Shepherd
- German Shorthaired Pointer
- Giant Schnauzer
- Golden Retriever
- Gordon Setter
- Great Pyrenees
- Irish Setter
- Irish Water Spaniel
- Irish Wolfhound
- Italian Spinone
- Labrador Retriever
- Norwegian Elkhound
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
- Old English Sheepdog
- Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Scottish Terrier
- Shetland Sheepdog
- Siberian Husky
- Springer Spaniel
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Standard Poodle
- Tibetan Terrier
- Welsh Terrier
- West Highland White Terrier